Annual meeting provided preview
What will 2013 bring to West Dallas and the West Dallas Chamber of Commerce?
In two words: more growth.
At the chamber's annual member meeting on Dec. 2, 2012, Dallas City Manager Mary Suhm reported on what's planned from the city's perspective.
Then, board chairman Randall White shared other economic development insights.
These reports were followed by membership actions to approve new board members and 2013 officers for the chamber.
City Manager Suhm talked about the "gold rush" to river that is finally being realized as the result of the Trinity River Corridor Project and the 2012 opening of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge.
Even though they are not adjacent to West Dallas, the recently announced Trinity Forest Golf Course and Trinity Horse Park will be good for the Trinity River Corridor, she said, which will in turn be great for West Dallas.
Ms. Suhm also referenced four public works projects which will get started in 2013, each having a positive impact on West Dallas:
- Conversion of the Continental Street Bridge into a pedestrian-oriented crossing and linear park with areas for special events.
- Creation of the West Dallas Lake within the Trinity River Corridor.
- Relocation of the Beckley-West Commerce intersection.
- Construction of the I-30 Calatrava bridge across the Trinity.
Mr. White added that we could expect additional business growth and job creation as: the Sylvan|Thirty mixed-use project breaks ground; Trinity Groves expands toward a dozen restaurant offerings; and additional Dallas West Trailer Park retail trailers open.
White also referenced bike lanes soon to be added to a stretch of Fort Worth Avenue and a "Complete Streets" treatment coming for a section of Sylvan Avenue.
West Dallas could also expect more events and festivals – like the West Dallas Loop of the Dallas Marathon – coming to the West Commerce, Singleton and Hampton corridors of West Dallas.
At the end of the meeting, members voted to elect or re-elect seven individuals to the 15-member West Dallas Chamber board:
- Carrie Clark, Wesley-Rankin Community Center
- Tom Dennis, Blanks
- George Esquivel, Four Corners Brewing Co.
- Ray Granado, Atmos Energy
- Erma Saracho, City of Dallas Office of Economic Development
- Stephanie Schumacher, La Grange Snow Cone Trailer
- Charles E. Ward, Jr., Comerica Bank
Finally, members elected the following individuals to serve on the chamber's 2013 executive committee:
- Randall White, Elettore – Chairman
- Jamie Cornelius, Sowell & Co. – Vice Chairman
- Tom Dennis, Blanks – Treasurer
- Charles E. Ward, Jr. , Comerica Bank – Secretary
- Mary L. Bailey, Texas Capital Bank – Ad Hoc Member